Communications & Engagement Manager
DATE: January, 2018
REPORTS TO: Director of Education & Engagement
Through marketing and constituent engagement, this role will support the organization’s vision of informed and inspired communities dedicated to improving the region’s tree canopy. This position will add core competencies, resources, and networks that will help the organization educate people about the link between a healthy, robust urban forest and community health and well-being. This position will grow the public’s knowledge about programs and services while solidifying the organization’s brand. To do so, the Communications & Engagement Manager will develop messaging that informs, inspires, and influences a wide array of audiences by utilizing web-based platforms, traditional media, contemporary storytelling, and in-person presentations. In addition, the Communications & Engagement Manager is responsible for working across the organization to deepen participation of its current constituents. To achieve this, the role will work closely with and supervise the Volunteer Program Coordinator.
This is a wonderful opportunity to help grow the impact of a well-built and well-connected organization.
Communications and Marketing 55%
- Work with the Board Communications Committee to effectively grow the Sacramento Tree Foundation brand to diverse audiences through online, print, and in-person channels
- Grow awareness of the organization’s programming (i.e.: volunteer events, workshops, etc.) and development opportunities. This will be done through social media platforms, email content, and print materials.
- Ensure that www.sactree.com and associated online materials are conforming to current best practices
- As assigned, manage the creation, distribution, and maintenance of print and electronic materials including materials related to Sacramento Tree Foundation’s educational programming and fundraising efforts
- Identify media opportunities and implement campaigns around key programs and issues, including monitoring media cycles and updating media lists
- Measure and regularly report on the effectiveness of communication materials and activities
Community Outreach 35%
- With input from other staff, encourage constituents to grow their participation through tracking and communications
- Be the organization’s lead coordinator for all outreach opportunities. Evaluate events with input from the Program Management Team to determine which are relevant for participation. Staff the events, and/or coordinate participation by fellow staff and volunteers.
- Prepare and deliver audience-specific presentations to the general public, student groups, and community-based organizations on the importance, value, advancement, and care of our regional urban forest
- Coach staff members that are leading workshops, trainings, speaking engagements, and other events to ensure that all communications are accurate and consistent
- As needed, manage relationships with specific partners to support organizational growth.
- As assigned, support and lead organization events such as volunteer events, trainings, and tree tours to increase awareness and investment in our urban forest
- Measure and regularly report on the effectiveness of the organization’s engagement efforts
- Oversee the Volunteer Program Coordinator by supporting their ongoing activities, providing ongoing guidance, and facilitating performance reviews
- Conduct and attend meetings, trainings, workshops, presentations, etc.
- Build an annual plan for Engagement Department and manage the plan’s goals, objectives, timelines, and budget with measurable deliverables
- Assist with fund development as necessary
- Work as part of the Program Management Team to implement the Tree Foundation’s mission
- Assist in and/or lead special projects as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree preferred
EXPERIENCE: Experience in marketing and communications (website oversight, social media, press relations) strongly desired. Previous management experience and knowledge of database systems (Salesforce) preferred. Knowledge of community outreach and organizing preferred. Knowledge of community greening and local ecosystems helpful.
SKILLS: Excellent written and verbal communication skills required. Ability to manage multiple projects and present to a wide variety of audiences. Superior ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and identify priorities. Bilingual/multilingual (Spanish, Hmong, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Russian) abilities a plus.
TEMPERAMENT: Self-starter, highly motivated initiator, and strategic thinker. Excels at meeting new people and building networks. Able to work as a supportive team member and take leadership initiative. Must be organized, responsible, and enthusiastic. The ideal candidate for the position will have a passion for our mission and a commitment to excellent customer service.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises the Volunteer Program Coordinator and possibly interns.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Must be able to work occasional nights and weekends.Able to lift 30 pounds.Both outdoor and in office work is required for this position. Therefore, employee may be exposed to extremes in weather including heat, rain, and freezing temperatures as well as extended periods of sitting and standing.
COMPENSATION: This is an at-will, full-time, non-exempt position. Excellent benefits including health care, dental and vision care coverage, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Send résumé and cover letter via email to email@example.com
Mission Statement: The Sacramento Tree Foundation is building healthy, livable communities in the Sacramento region by growing the best urban forest in the nation.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT